Points from the Pastor's Pen
“I urge then first of all, that request, prayers, intersession, and thanksgiving be made for everyone, for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good and pleases God our Savior.” 1 Timothy 2: 1-3
If you are a Christ-follower, you must chose to become a person who prays, not just for your needs, but for the needs of others as well. In writing to Timothy, the Apostle Paul says “first of all” PRAY!
Do you believe in the power of prayer? Then each day, take time to pray and seek God. In this article I want to give you ten ways you can pray for those in positions of authority. Those in authority include teachers, employers, parents, pastors, our local police, and those in political leadership including our President.
In praying for those in authority ask God to enable them to:
1) Realize their personal sinfulness and daily need of the cleansing power of Jesus Christ.
2) Recognize their personal inadequacy for the task and therefore depend on the Almighty God for wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and courage to carry it out.
3) Reject all counsel that violates spiritual principles and then put their trust in God.
4) Resist the pressure of those who would have them violate their conscience.
5)Reverse the trends of socialism and humanism in our land, both of which dethrone God and defy man.
6)Readily forsake their political careers and personal ambitions, if to do so would be in the best interest of the nation.
7)Rely upon prayer and the Word of God as the source of strength and the key to success.
8) Restore dignity, honor, trustworthiness, and righteousness to the offices they hold.
9) Remember to be good examples to those they represent.
10) Remind themselves daily that they will be accountable to Almighty God for their attitudes, actions, and motives while representing the people of the country.
On May 2nd which is the National Day of Prayer, we will be gathering at noon in front of the Court house to pray for our nation and its leaders, please join us in praying for America.
Your Pastor and friend,